• Comments: 2

Login/Logout

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Another 'Visiting Nevada' thread. Feb 2013

Another 'Visiting Nevada' thread. Feb 2013 1 year 6 months ago #63337

Hello all,

My wife and I will be doing a geocaching trip in southern Nevada in early Feb. Specifically, we are staying in Henderson on Tuesday night, and have Wed and Thurs for caching. We are going to LV for the Friday and Saturday night, and are driving to Los Angeles on Sunday (and caching along the way).

I would like to stay in the southern half of Nevada if possible, and have no qualms about going to another state if you think worthwhile. My wife has ideas of 'ghost towns' and the like, so anything neat and cool would be appreciated. Also, anything special nature-wise, like a fancy rock formation, hoo doos, whatever, would also be welcome.

I would have no problem going to a specific place because it's neat, even if there was only one small cache there.

We are in fine shape for any walking, etc.

Also, if you wouldn't mind, some weather/clothing tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony
ThursdaysAtNine
Calgary, AB, CAN
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Another 'Visiting Nevada' thread. Feb 2013 1 year 6 months ago #63338

Valley of fire would be a good visit that time of year. It has lots of interesting rock formations, Petroglyphs, and other native American things. Heading out to the northeast, the lost city museum is a good visit showing the way things were. If you have time for a day trip to Death Valley, there are lots of interesting formations and sights that are only seen in movies. Hoover Dam is a good visit if you have never seen it. Maybe take the tour into the dam its self. As for caching, there are caches everywhere in the valley and beyond. The ET Trail is about 2 hour drive from vegas streaching many miles to make up its 2000 caches. Tonapah, Goldfield and Beatty are living ghost towns with mining history and are about 3 hours out with many caches along the way.
  • Vegasnative
  • NGA Member
  • Thank you received: 2

Re: Another 'Visiting Nevada' thread. Feb 2013 1 year 6 months ago #63347

ThursdaysAtNine wrote:
...My wife and I will be doing a geocaching trip in southern Nevada in early Feb. Specifically, we are staying in Henderson on Tuesday night, and have Wed and Thurs for caching...
You could check out GC242ZA, Las Vegas Wash & Wetlands Hybrid, for a quick Letterbox. The cache is just off the trailhead, and there is some good hiking in the area. For a much tougher experience, check out GC29GDD, LVMC #1, GC29GEC, LVMC #2, and GC29GEG, LVMC #3. They are not a long hike, but it is a steep climb, and the view is great from on top. Between the cities of Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, Boulder City and Henderson, there are at least 30 Virtual Caches, many of which you can drive right up to. Check out GC765E, " Luscious " and right past the Hoover Dam in Arizona is a quick trip to GC7D96, The White Rock Canyon Bridge. GC186A3, Hemenway Micro, is in a nice park, and if you are lucky there may be some Bighorn Sheep in the area. If you want to experience a Power Trail in the desert, about 25-30 miles south is Grandpa's Road (GC2AFA8, Grandpa Matt, will show you the area).
  • USAF MSgt
  • Geocache Superstar
  • Thank you received: 8

Re: Another 'Visiting Nevada' thread. Feb 2013 1 year 6 months ago #63350

ThursdaysAtNine wrote:
...We are going to LV for the Friday and Saturday night...
GC3VC34, Oskar the geocacher, is a fun little puzzle to solve. GC25RZ8, McCarran Village and GCR21M, Centennial Hills Multi are each very quick Multis. GC1TM5X, Keeping It Fun 12 "A Cache By The Wash", GCA61F, Red Rock View, and GCM50M, Thanksgiving Turkey are a great walk. West of Las Vegas is Red Rocks. It's a nice hike to GC123, Vegas New Year 2K1 Stash, the second oldest cache in the state. The hike to GCHY48, First Creek Falls Cache, is also nice, and you might get to see the falls in action!
  • USAF MSgt
  • Geocache Superstar

Re: Another 'Visiting Nevada' thread. Feb 2013 1 year 6 months ago #63357

ThursdaysAtNine wrote:
My wife and I will be doing a geocaching trip in southern Nevada in early Feb...and are driving to Los Angeles on Sunday (and caching along the way).
If you are taking Interstate 15, stop on your way out of town for GCGPMF, The Windsock. It's not too bad of a climb, and it's a great last view of the city. About 10 miles south of there is a quick Virtual Cache, GC8FDD, Many Years Ago. There are three EarthCaches just east of the city of Jean. Another quick EarthCache in Primm. GC436A, Some like it Hot, is a Virtual in Baker, California. Just north of Yermo, California, is Virtual Cache GCHMPE, The Calico Cemetery Cache. It's in Calico Ghost Town (a tourist area), but it is a Ghost Town.
  • USAF MSgt
  • Geocache Superstar

Re: Another 'Visiting Nevada' thread. Feb 2013 1 year 6 months ago #63359

ThursdaysAtNine wrote:
Also, if you wouldn't mind, some weather/clothing tips would be appreciated.
We've been having a little bit of a cold snap here lately. The high temperature on Monday was 28 degrees (F). On Tuesday and Wednesday mornings, I found my pool iced over both days. Maybe by this weekend the temperature may get up to 60 degrees (F).

It's nothing like a Canadian winter, so a good jacket/windbreaker, gloves, and maybe a wool cap; probably not much use for winter boots (not much snow/slush around here).
  • USAF MSgt
  • Geocache Superstar
The following user(s) said Thank You: VegasCachers

Another 'Visiting Nevada' thread. Feb 2013 1 year 6 months ago #63360

Thanks everyone! Getting all my maps ready, etc. Looking forward to it...

Another 'Visiting Nevada' thread. Feb 2013 1 year 5 days ago #63896

Starting the plan of relocating to southern Nv, in July of 14 I amI so glad I found this thread!

Thanks for all then info.

K8FA. Art
  • K8FA
  • GeoNoob
  • Disabled, not dead! Yet!

Another 'Visiting Nevada' thread. Feb 2013 1 year 4 days ago #63897

Lots of caching activity ranging from the mountians to the desert.
  • Vegasnative
  • NGA Member
  • Thank you received: 2
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.432 seconds