• Nvh2ofowler logging GC11P4V, Hot Stuff Near Bristol
  • Category: Geocaching
  • Hits: 1953
  • Comments: 2

Login/Logout

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Are there fleas in northern nevada (tahoe/sparks)?

Are there fleas in northern nevada (tahoe/sparks)? 5 years 4 months ago #53386

Down here in the desert, we were told we didn't have to worry about fleas.

We will be vacationing in the summer up in South Lake Tahoe and Sparks. Are there fleas in these areas? Just wanted to know if we had to prep our dog before the trip.

thanks,
kris
  • Kris32
  • Geocaching Master
  • Thank you received: 6
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Are there fleas in northern nevada (tahoe/sparks)? 5 years 4 months ago #53388

Well I worked a summer on the Tahoe National Forest (Foresthill Ca.) and at that time we had no problems. With our dogs when we head out to Montana our 2 have it on board as a precaution. Seems like some motels can be the best spot for the fleas to catch a ride. Better to be safe than sorry.
  • rambrush
  • Geocache Superstar
  • Thank you received: 3
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by rambrush.

Re:Are there fleas in northern nevada (tahoe/sparks)? 5 years 4 months ago #53396

I've lived here my entire life and have yet to see a flea. I even have yet to see a tick up here however, I do know someone that has actually had a tick on them up in the hills. ::shudders:: The bears have been pretty active though! :laugh:
  • LostinReno
  • Geocaching King

Re:Are there fleas in northern nevada (tahoe/sparks)? 5 years 4 months ago #53397

On another note, we have both cats and a dog and have never given a flea treatment to either.
  • LostinReno
  • Geocaching King

Re:Are there fleas in northern nevada (tahoe/sparks)? 5 years 4 months ago #53398

I started out worried about fleas and now am worried about ticks and bears! Just kidding.

Thanks for the info!

kris
  • Kris32
  • Geocaching Master

Re:Are there fleas in northern nevada (tahoe/sparks)? 5 years 4 months ago #53399

Up at South Lake, depending on where you are. You have a better chance of seeing a bear than a tick...seriously! There were lots up there last year. No attacks on people that I know of though. If you've never been up there before or in recent years, you will trip on the industrial bear proof garbage cans that are eveywhere!
  • LostinReno
  • Geocaching King

Re:Are there fleas in northern nevada (tahoe/sparks)? 5 years 4 months ago #53414

We camp at Fallen Leaf campground in South Tahoe every June. We usually have at least one bear come through the campground every other night. No problem if you have everything put away in the bear boxes. Just bring a large pot to join the other campers making noise to scare away the bear. Air horns are frowned upon :angry:

BTW - depending when in the summer you are coming there is an event at the lake on June 13-14 - 2009 South Shore-Lake Tahoe Treasure Hunt (GC1NTE7) you might want to attend.
  • geospyder
  • Geocaching Master
Always yield to temptation. It may never pass your way again.

Re:Are there fleas in northern nevada (tahoe/sparks)? 5 years 4 months ago #53417

Darn it, I'll miss that event by a couple weeks I think. Rats.

kris
  • Kris32
  • Geocaching Master

Re:Are there fleas in northern nevada (tahoe/sparks)? 5 years 4 months ago #53418

I really like Reno/Tahoe because it's basically pest free. I'm from Vegas and the cockroach/cricket/EVERYTHING populations are far too large. But up North, I've yet to even see a single cockroach.

Specifically on fleas and ticks? Never encountered one or had anybody tell me they or their pet got one

Re:Are there fleas in northern nevada (tahoe/sparks)? 5 years 4 months ago #53425

matbluvenger wrote:
I really like Reno/Tahoe because it's basically pest free. I'm from Vegas and the cockroach/cricket/EVERYTHING populations are far too large. But up North, I've yet to even see a single cockroach.

Yeah, but at least in Vegas, if I go hiking up in the mountains, I don't have to worry about which type of bear is in the woods--the one that's going to run away or the one that's going to run after you!

Bugs don't bother me that much--it's the scorpions that I don't like!
  • vegaschick
  • GeoGod
  • Thank you received: 1
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.673 seconds